Historic Main Street Trail Information
Length: 4.5 miles Time: 2.5 hours
Difficulty: Easy Elevation Gain: 102 feet
There is a pamphlet available at the City Offices at 160 S. Main Street that contains a self-guided tour with information on sites of interest. You also may use this brief summary given here. This is an interesting tour of the historical pioneer sites in Farmington. It is a self-guided tour you can drive if you are in a hurry or, better yet, to walk and be able to read the information on the historical plaques. Most of these sites are private residences so you will not go inside unless you have made special arrangements with the owner.
This is an interesting tour of some pioneer-era and other historic sites along the main residential streets in old-town Farmington. It is a self-guided tour that you can drive if you are in a hurry or, better yet, walk and be able to read the information on the historical plaques. Most of these sites are private residences, so you will not be able to go inside unless you have made special arrangements with the owner.
Self-Guided Historical Tour: Park at Farmington City Hall at 160 S. Main St. You may wish to get a cool drink of water, get information, or pick up a Master Trails Map. Walk north to the Davis County Memorial Courthouse (#1) on the southeast corner of State and Main. The sexton at the Recorder’s Office can give you directions to the graves in the Farmington cemetery. Read the plaques (#2) in front of the Courthouse to learn when Davis County was founded. Another plaque (#3) on the other side of the monument right next to the street tells about Captain Davis, an important founding father of our city. Travel east on State St. to #4. Turn right (south) on 100 E. to #5. Come back north on 100 East and travel back west on State Street to Main Street and turn right (north). Visit #6, the site of the old “FC&M.” Stroll up Main Street, learning about historic sites on both sides of the street, #7-#12.
Turn right (east) on 100 N. to #13. Turn left (north) on 100 E., where you can visit sites #14 - #22 along both sides of street. Turn left (west) on 500 N. and go down to Main Street, visiting sites #23, #24 and #25. At Main Street, turn left (south) and proceed down the street to sites #26 - #40 (on both sides of the street). Then visit the Farmington City Historical Museum (#42).
Head down (west) 100 North to sites #43 - #45, then continue down 100 West to State Street. Turn right (west) and visit sites #46 and #47. You are now at 200 West, the old Bamberger Railroad, and entering the Clark Lane National Historic District (#48). Sites #49 - #63 are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The tour will take you down the north side of State Street first, then return up the south side.
As you return, heading east on State Street back toward the Courthouse, visit #64, then turn onto 100 West for #65-67. As you return to State Street, notice the “Three Sisters,” #68, #69, and #70, on the north side. Back at Main Street, enjoy a beautiful row of craftsman-styled bungalows across from the Courthouse at #71 - #74. This concludes the tour. We hope you enjoy learning more about Farmington’s pioneer heritage.
List of Sites
- Davis County Memorial Courthouse 1930, State and Main. Farmington is the county seat, with the courthouse at its center. Listed on the Farmington City Historic Landmarks Register.
- Davis County monument at courthouse (on U.S. flag base, facing courthouse), State and Main. Davis County was established on 10/5/1850.
- Pioneer monument at courthouse, (on U.S. flag base, facing State Street), State and Main. Erected in 1939, it honors founding father Captain Daniel Davis from the Nauvoo Legion.
- VanFleet Hotel, c. 1850, 88 E. State St. Thomas and Electa Hunt built this home in the 1850s and ran a tavern out of one section. Hyrum and Anita VanFleet purchased it in 1907. They turned it into the VanFleet Hotel, which catered mainly to teamsters traveling between Salt Lake City and Ogden, Farmington being a day’s drive from either city. When a fire damaged the hotel in 1913, the VanFleets rebuilt the damaged areas and added porches on the north and east sides. The hotel served as an officers’ club for Hill Air Force Base during WWII. In 1953, Anita VanFleet remodeled it into apartments. Dr. Berrett Packer bought the building in 1995, renovated it, and turned it into modern dental offices. (Plaque on east side.) Listed on the National Register.
- Stayner-Steed House/Mackegg Hotel, 1872, 79 S. 100 E. This pioneer-era hotel, now a private home, was built of native rock by Arthur Stayner. Listed on the National Register.
- Site of FC&M Building, 1891, Northeast corner, State St. and Main, On this corner in 1891, the Farmington Commercial and Manufacturing Company opened for business. At two stories tall and with a footprint of 76 x 100 feet, it was the largest store in town. The “FC&M” sold everything from fresh meats to building supplies, hardware, and shoes. It was added onto many times with, among other additions, an office for the Farmington branch of the American Telegraph & Telephone Co. in 1896. Listed on the National Register.
- Site of JD Wood’s Mercantile, 1891, 25 N. Main (Remodeled). Jonathan David Wood and Fannie Goble Wood started the first little store in Farmington in 1855, running it out of their home near 37 North 100 East. Their son, JD Wood, carried on the family tradition when he opened his mercantile here in 1891. He sold groceries, candy, fresh produce, shoes, dry goods and coal for many years.
- Alfred Stevenson home, wood frame, 1886, 36 N. Main St. Listed on the National Register.
- Stevenson rock barn, 1855, 56 N. Main St. Daniel Randolph Williams built this beautiful rock barn as a pioneer livery stable. The girders and beams are hand-hewn from logs that were spliced together using wooden pegs to secure the jointed parts. It is currently a private residence and art studio. Listed on the National Register.
- Walter Rampton home, brick, 1905, 57 N. Main St. Walter Rampton was the village blacksmith before he became a merchant. In 1907, he opened Farmington’s first drug store, Rampton Drug. Walter Rampton, Jr. was raised in this home and was Farmington’s mayor from 1930-1932. Listed on the National Register.
- One story wood-frame home, c. 1890, 58 N. Main St. Wood-frame buildings were rare in early Farmington. It is currently Aunt Addy’s Country Home boutique. Listed on the National Register.
- Millinery Shop, siding over adobe, c. 1880, 79 N. Main St. Joseph E. Robinson built this store for shop owners Elizabeth Cowley Brown and Dora Watson Robinson, who sold millinery and ladies’ furnishings and coats. This building has seen many uses over the years, including a private residence, a café, a hair salon, and offices. Listed on the National Register.
- Current school district Kendell Bldg, 100 N. 70 E. The bell in the Kendell Building’s tower came from the old Farmington Academy, built in 1888.
- James D. Wilcox & Anne Robinson Wilcox home, 1870, 100 N. 93 E. This 2-story building was the “Downtown” home of the city’s first mayor and his wife. Wilcox served at the time of the city’s incorporation, in 1892. The rock lean-to was added before 1916 and gives the house a “saltbox” shape. Listed on the National Register.
- One-story pioneer home, rock, c. 1860, 147 N. 100 E. This home was sold to the Mills family in 1868 and was later the home of Alice and Monroe Sill. The walls, composed of granite gneiss stone, are 21 inches thick.
- Rawl Udy home, brick, 1892, 189 N. 100 E. Sugar beets were grown on this property and the sugar was sold to ZCMI (Zion’s Cooperative Mercantile Incorporated), the West’s first department store.
- Pioneer public building, adobe, 1855, 192 N. 100 E. The original building was a bowery, then the second school in Farmington, and later served as a church. It is now a residence. Several additions have been added over the years. The rock facade is 20th-century.
- One story pioneer home, rock, c. 1875, 200 N. 93 E. Notice the beautiful “thimble-spooled” turned pillars on the south porch.
- Elias VanFleet home, rock, c. 1870, 93 East 300 N. (a.k.a. 307 N. 100 East) VanFleet was an early pioneer and a veteran of the Black Hawk War, from 1865 to 1867.
- Franklin D. Richards & Rhoda Harriett Foss Richards home, 1863, 386 N. 100 E. Rock cellar in back. The quartz and granite rocks were hauled from Farmington Canyon. The walls are 33” deep, lined with adobe bricks, plastered over and whitewashed. Richards was an LDS Church apostle. Foss was the widow of Willard Richards prior to her marriage to Franklin. (The 100 East block between 400 North and 300 North is the location of numerous homes built by Willard Richards for his wives.) Listed on the National Register.
- George Q. Knowlton home, brick, 1909, 400 N. 93 E. Knowlton Elementary is named for this early educator. Listed on the National Register.
- VanFleet/Elias Richards home, rock, c. 1870, 463 N. 100 E.
- Truman & Ortentia Leonard home, 2-story rock, 1863, 500 N. 94 E. The first couple married in the LDS Nauvoo Temple, the Leonards settled in Farmington in 1850 and built an adobe house on this site in 1853. They expanded it with the large stone section in 1863. After their deaths, LDS apostle John Taylor bought the house, tore down the original adobe section and replaced it with the existing brick addition. (Plaque on north side.)
- John W. Taylor, Janet and May Rich home, brick, 1902, 500 N. 49 E. This home is the sole example of the “foursquare” form of architecture in the city. Taylor was an LDS apostle and the son of John Taylor, third president of the LDS Church. Listed on the National Register.
- Lewis Edwin Abbott home, stucco over brick, 1903, 15 E. 500 N. This turn-of-the-century home sits on the site of the settlement’s first cemetery plots.
- John W. Hess & Caroline Workman Hess home, brick, 1882, 488 N. Main St. John W. Hess was the Farmington LDS Ward’s third bishop in 1855, serving for 27 years. He built homes for his seven wives and 63 children along Main Street. Listed on the National Register.
- John W. Hess & Mary Ann Steed Hess home, brick, 1880, 479 N. Main St. Listed on the National Register.
- Brick cottage, 1926, 410 North Main St. This home is also the site of an early tannery. Listed on the National Register.
- Miller home and farm, brick, 1890, 351 N. Main St. Site of 1849 adobe home of Daniel Miller & Hannah Bigler Miller. Daniel turned the first furrow in Farmington. In 1890, Charles A. Miller, their son, tore down the original house and built this 2-story red brick home on its site. The 1849 barn and granary still stand. Listed on the National Register.
- One story pioneer home and farm, rock and wood siding over adobe, 331 N. Main St. Listed on the National Register.
- George Chaffin home, brick, 1895, 310 North Main St. There was originally a United Order shoe shop to the east of this home. Listed on the National Register.
- Rock Church, 1862, 272 N. Main St. This is the site of the first LDS Primary meeting for 224 children on August 11, 1878. Construction on the church began with only $12 in cash in 1862, under Brigham Young’s supervision. When its first addition was built in 1941, Lynn Fausett painted a mural in the old chapel depicting the first Primary. The church was enlarged again in 1980. Listed on the National Register.
- Charles Penrose cabin, log, 1861, 272 N. Main St. (behind church). This cabin was built in 1861 for Charles Penrose, who wrote several hymns for the LDS Church. It has been moved several times from its original site on the southwest corner of 300 North Main Street. It was relocated to the church grounds in 1956. The cabin and the many historical artifacts it houses are preserved and maintained by the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers. Listed on the Farmington City Historic Landmarks Register.
- Jacob Miller home, rock, 1875, 245 N. Main St. Miller’s family was one of the first five to settle the Farmington area in 1848. The original blueprint of this home was drafted by the architect of the Rock Chapel across the street. Secret rock cellars sealed off in the basement were, presumably, once used to hide polygamists from federal authorities. Listed on the National Register.
- Brick bungalow, 1926, 211 N. Main St. This home illustrates a type of residence popular throughout Farmington and the United States from 1900 to 1940. Listed on the National Register.
- Haight-Union Hotel, siding over adobe, 1857, 208 N. Main St. This 2-story hotel was built by the area’s first pioneer, Hector Haight, often called the “Father of Farmington.” Many early dignitaries stayed here, including Brigham Young. Listed on the National Register.
- Period-revival cottage, brick, 1925, 207 N. Main St. Many charming period-revival homes were built during the 1920’s, 1930’s and 1940’ Listed on the National Register.
- Simple Victorian home, brick, 1893, 177 N. Main St. This home is typical of the type of house built locally during the Victorian era.
- Pioneer-era adobe home, c.1860-1870, 139 N. Main St. As with most of Farmington’s pioneer adobe buildings, the fragile bricks have been stuccoed over to protect them from water damage.
- Judge Harold H. Robinson home, 1923, 127 N. Main St. This 2-story, hip-roofed colonial is reminiscent of fine homes found on the east coast. Judge Robinson once joked that the cannon at the old Farmington City Hall was pointed directly at his home. He took it personally and had the cannon rendered unusable by filling it with cement and then pointed elsewhere.
- Current Farmington City Hall, 160 S. Main Street. (Not along the walking tour path.)
- Farmington Historical Museum, brick, 1907, 110 N. Main St. James H. Robinson supervised the construction of this building in 1907. In 1917, Farmington City purchased it for use as a City Hall, part of it serving as a library until 1964. Farmington’s Lion’s Club took over the lease in 1970 and graciously donated it in 2002 so the City could use it as a museum. The Farmington Historical Museum opened in July 2004. It is open Wednesdays from 1-4 p.m., and may be visited at other times by appointment (leave a message at 801-451-2357). Listed on the National Register.
- Oliver Robinson barn, rock, 1872, 100 N. 67 W. Built as a hay barn for animals, this beautiful rock barn was converted into apartment residences around 1900, and into a single-family home in the 1940s by Zelda and Fred Tidwell.
- Joseph Lee Robinson home, adobe, 1854, 94 N. 100 W. This two-story, hall-parlor home was built by the Robinsons, one of Farmington’s first five settler families, who arrived here in 1849. Joseph Lee Robinson served as the area’s first LDS bishop, and each of his five wives lived in this house at some point. Oliver Lee Robinson, Joseph’s eldest son, lived here later. Several cottages were built behind the house for plural wives.
- Robinson family home, stuccoed adobe, 1865, 100 N. 104 W. Joseph Lee Robinson’s family built an adobe house here in 1865. In 1874, his son and daughter-in-law, Joseph Elijah Robinson & Dora Robinson, moved in and added to the home. Joseph, the youngest son of Joseph Lee and Maria Wood Robinson, was the first white male child to be born in Farmington on February 2, 1849. His son, R.C. “Doc” Robinson later lived here and received the Carnegie Award for bravely rescuing two women from the massive Farmington flood of 1923.
- Thomas Rogers & Aurelia Spencer Rogers home, adobe, 1867, 142 West State St. Aurelia Rogers organized the first LDS Primary Organization for children (see #32). Originally a 2-room adobe house with a front porch, the exterior was rocked over in the late 20th-century.
- Pioneer schoolhouse/Bamberger station, adobe, 1855, 184 West State St. Originally Farmington’s third schoolhouse, then the Bamberger Train Station, this building is now a private residence.
- Clark Lane National Historic District: Accepted to the National Register of Historic Places in 1997, this is the first nationally listed historic district in Davis County, encompassing the homes on State Street (formerly “Clark Alley” or “Clark Lane”) between 200 West and 400 West.
- John Leavitt/Timothy Clark & Lucy Rice Clark home, adobe, rock, and brick, 208 West State St. John Leavitt, an important railroad man, built the original 2-room adobe house (northeast corner) in 1862. The Clark family built a 2-room rock addition to the west in 1873 and a 2-story brick central passage wing (in front) in 1881. While raising 8 children here, they rented the two upstairs bedrooms to railroad workers and travelers. An ardent suffragist and active in politics, Lucy became the first woman to cast a vote at the Republican National Convention in 1908. In 1918, Edmond and Elizabeth Whitaker bought the house, enlarged the kitchen and added the craftsman-styled front porch. Listed on the National Register.
- James and Millie Millard home, brick, 1955, 220 West State St.
- Edmond Whitaker & Elizabeth Wood Whitaker, wood frame, 1950, 256 West State St. Edmond and Elizabeth Whitaker built this house on the west side of their property and retired here when their children were grown, moving from tour house #49. Their family had a dairy farm and an onion farm a few blocks to the west. After a fire, the building was remodeled in the 1980s.
- Nathan George Clark & Esther Lauretta Ford Clark home, brick, 1899, 268 West State St. Nathan Clark was the third son of Ezra T. Clark and his second wife, Susan Leggett Clark. This Victorian home remained in the Clark family until it was sold to Lagoon in the 1990s. This property also contains the district’s only barn on the National Register of Historic Places. Originally, this house was the most elaborate and intricate of the gingerbread-style homes in the district. Listed on the National Register.
- Amasa Lyman Clark & Alice Steed Clark home, brick, 1885, 290 West State St. This 1½-story cross-wing “T” Victorian home is capped by intersecting gable roofs of differing heights. Although Alice died in 1895, Amasa remarried and lived here for most of his long life. He was the cashier of the Davis County Bank when his father, Ezra T. Clark, established it in 1892, and he became bank president in 1945. He was Farmington’s mayor from 1908 to 1912, and it was during his administration that electricity came to Farmington. It is said that this house was the first in Farmington to have running water, from a tank mounted outside the kitchen window. Listed on the National Register.
- Joseph S. Clark home, brick, 1895, 340 West State St. Built for Joseph Smith Clark, the design of this 1½-story brick cross-wing house was influenced by the Queen Anne style. It is the most elaborate home of its kind in the district. Joseph helped settled Georgetown, Idaho, and managed the family ranch for many years. He was president of the Davis County Bank. The top story was destroyed by fire around 1920 and was not rebuilt. Instead, the home was updated to a one-story bungalow. In 1979, the current owners rebuilt the upper story to match the original house. Listed on the National Register.
- Ezra T. Clark & Mary Stevenson Clark home, rock, 1856, 368 W. State St. The original adobe structure was a two-story, single pile, side passage plan with a gable roof parallel to the street. It replaced a two-room log home that the family lived in during the first 6 years of the settlement, located about 300 feet southwest of the Ezra T. Clark Monument. The first alteration to the original structure, c. 1868, consists of two single-story wings added to each side of the original two-story structure. This house was the family gathering place. Ezra was a successful rancher and farmer. He was the founder and first president of the Davis County Bank. He was also the founder and CEO of the Farmington Commercial & Manufacturing Company. Listed on the National Register.
- Edward Franklin Clark & Aureta Potter Clark home, brick, 1925, 382 W. State St. This bungalow represents a type of residence popular throughout Farmington and the United States during this period of time. Edward F. Clark, grandson of Ezra T. Clark, was an employee of Miller Floral for many years, and he also served as a Justice of the Peace in Farmington from 1926-1970. Listed on the National Register.
- Pioneer monument/Clark Park, 1948, 400 West 50 North. The Ezra T. Clark Monument and Park was constructed in 1948 to celebrate the 100-year anniversary of the Clark family’s settlement in Utah and the significant contributions they made to Davis County and the state. The monument marks the site where the family settled in 1850. Some of their descendants still live here today.
- Orson Richards Clark & Lucile Barlow Clark home, brick, 1940, 399 W. State St. This Period Revival cottage is the district’s lone example of a vernacular expression of the English Tudor style. It was home to Orson Clark, a rancher, a teacher, and a grandson of Ezra T. Clark. Listed on the National Register.
- Hyrum Don Carlos Clark & Ann Eliza Porter Clark home, wood frame, 1908, 367 W. State St. Wood-framed buildings of this age and older are rare in Farmington. Hyrum and Ann left Farmington in 1880 to seek their fortune first in Idaho and then in Star Valley, Wyoming. Ann found the winters in Wyoming too rigorous, so Hyrum built this house for her in 1908. Hyrum returned to Farmington in his later years of life. Listed on the National Register.
- Susan Leggett Clark home, brick, 1886, 335 West State St. This Second Empire Victorian home, built for Ezra Clark’s second wife, replaced a smaller (probably adobe) home built for her on the lot in 1861. Its straight mansard roof with a hipped crown, pierced by gable dormers on all facades, is typical of the style. In the book, A Mormon Mother, Annie Clark Tanner writes about her life growing up in this house across the street from her father’s first wife’s home. Listed on the National Register.
- Eugene Henry Clark & Sarah Sessions Clark home, brick, 1900, 307 West State St. Built in 1900 for the sixth child of Ezra and Susan Leggett Clark, this 1½-story Victorian Eclectic design is composed of a rich variety of elements from a number of Victorian-era architectural styles. The top story was destroyed by fire in the early 20th-century and then rebuilt. This home is known for having some of the best fruit orchards in Farmington. Listed on the National Register.
- Annie Clark Tanner home, brick, 1901, 291 West State St. Annie was the daughter of Ezra T. Clark and his second wife, Susan Leggett Clark. For a decade following her polygamous marriage to Joseph Tanner in 1883, she lived in hiding and moved frequently, finally returning to Farmington to a home of her own, an old pioneer adobe house her father gave her. In 1901, with financial help from her father, Annie tore down the old home and had this Victorian Eclectic house built. Her autobiography, A Mormon Mother, describes how her husband left her and their ten children without support in 1913. She built a rental house next door and also rented rooms in the main house to famous orchestra musicians employed at Lagoon. She worked for her neighbors doing washing and scrubbing floors for 15 cents an hour to pay for her children’s education. Six of her children received a college education, including her son, O.C. Tanner. Listed on the National Register.
- Thomas & Martha Sanders home, 1925, 207 West State St. The foundation of this house was completed in 1925, and the basement was occupied through 1940 when the main floor was completed as a single-story, hip-roofed bungalow by Thomas and Martha Sanders. Thomas Sanders was a carpenter who helped build many of the homes in the Farmington area. He was also employed by Miller Floral in the 1920’ Listed on the National Register.
- Craftsman-style bungalow, brick and stucco, 1920, 137 W. State St.
- Late Victorian home, brick, 1912, 86 S.100 W.
- Dahl/John Walsh home, brick, 1898, 73 S. 100 W. Built for a Swedish couple by the name of Dahl, this charming home was then sold to LDS bishop John Walsh. Walsh is credited with persuading the church’s headquarters to hire artist Lynn Fausett to paint the Primary mural in the rock church.
- Greenhouses, about 50 South. You may notice the remains of the Elliott family’s greenhouses at mid-block on both sides of 100 West. In the early 20th-century, Farmington was billed as “The Rose City,” due to its abundance of greenhouses and garden businesses, the largest being Miller Floral, located on 200 West where Farmington Junior High now stands.
- English Tudor home, brick, 1929, 72 West State St. The “Three Sisters” (#s 68-70) are beautiful brick cottages, all built in 1929 in the English Tudor style, a picturesque, period-revival style popular in the early 20th-century.
- English Tudor home, brick, 1929, 66 West State St.
- English Tudor home, brick, 1929, 54 West State St.
- Nephi Palmer home, 1929, 10 S. Main St. Nephi Palmer was a title abstractor who built this brick bungalow to function as both a home and office. It has four entryways, including one that led to his office. Like the next 3 homes on the tour, it shows off beautiful architectural features of the arts-and-crafts movement, which sought to counter the excess of the Victorian period by returning to pre-industrial-revolution times when things were made by hand and displayed the craftsman’s pride in the work.
- Hess home, brick, 1922, 30 South Main St. Another example of this neighborhood’s beautiful 1920s bungalows.
- Joseph & Annetta Udy home, brick, 1920, 44 South Main St. This craftsman-style bungalow was built by Grant Clark (son of Amasa Clark and grandson of Ezra T. Clark) for the Udys, who lived here from the time it was built until they died in 1935. The home passed to their daughters, Marva Earl and Fontella Chaffin, who shared the residence for a time before Marva took full ownership. She lived in the home until 1985. The front rooms still feature the original gumwood, which was fashionable in houses of this style but quite an expensive upgrade, as it had to be imported.
- Craftsman-style bungalow, brick, 1926, 54 South Main St.
Other historic places of interest not on this tour are:
Farmington City Cemetery, 500 S. 200 E. It was established June 6, 1883 on land donated by William Kelsey Rice, a pioneer of 1847. Rice lived with his wife, Ann Victoria Rose, in a 2-room pioneer home built in 1867. You can visit the well-preserved west wing of their home just north of the cemetery at 443 South 200 East. At the cemetery, visit the graves of many early pioneers and see the map display. Inside the mailbox is a list of the graves alphabetically by last name. Records of plot locations are also available from the sexton at the courthouse.
Hector Haight home, rock, 1867, 600 N. 121 W. Haight was the area’s first pioneer settler, considered the “Father of Farmington.” Another early settler, Henry Hinman, later lived in this home.
James Loynd home, rock, 1868, 600 N. 82 W. Loynd served as frontier Justice of the Peace in 1878, and owned the first organ in Farmington. The second story is a modern addition.
Rock Mill, 1852, Old Mill Road (east of Main Street on 600 North). This building was built as a water-powered grist mill by pioneer Willard Richards. His nephew, LDS Apostle Franklin