Historic Preservation Commission
Commission Liason: Councilmen Shawn Beus
Staff: Community Dev. Director
John Crawford Anderson
The commission meets at 7:00 pm on the fourth Wednesday of each month, presently via virtual computer software Zoom. The public is welcome to attend. You can find a Zoom link on the webpage.
|Date||Agenda | Minutes | Zoom Meeting Link|
|27 October 2021, 7:00 pm||Agenda | Minutes | Zoom|
|22 September 2021, 7:00 pm||Agenda | Minutes | Zoom|
|25 August 2021, 7:00 pm||Agenda | Minutes|
|28 July 2021, 7:00 pm||Agenda | Minutes|
|23 June 2021, 7:00 pm||Agenda | Minutes|
|26 May 2021, 7:00 pm||Agenda | Minutes | Zoom|
|28 April 2021, 7:00 pm||Agenda | Minutes | Zoom|
|24 March 2021, 7:00 pm||Agenda | Minutes | Zoom|
|24 February 2021, 7:00 pm||Agenda | Minutes | Zoom|
|27 January 2021, 7:00 pm||Agenda | Minutes | Zoom|
|December||No Meeting will be Held|
|November||No Meeting will be Held|
|28 October 2020, 7:00 pm||Agenda | Minutes | Zoom|
|26 August 2020, 7:00 pm||Agenda | Minutes | Zoom|
|29 July 2020, 7:00 pm||Agenda | Minutes | Zoom|
Historic Preservation Commission
"By protecting such historically significant sites and structures, they will be preserved for use, observation, education, pleasure and general welfare of the present and future residents of the city."
Farmington, the seat of Davis County, is located about 16 miles north of Salt Lake City. It occupies a narrow strip of land tucked snugly against the base of the Wasatch Mountains, halfway between Salt Lake City and Ogden, with the Great Salt Lake lapping at its western shores.
The community, with a population of around 22,000, is a place renowned for its tree lined streets, visual charm and a history as solid as the stone used in the construction of many of its pioneer homes.
Farmington’s earliest inhabitants were Indians who stayed until the 1860's. fur trappers came through the Farmington area as early as 1825, and were followed by explorers and emigrants in the 1840's.
Soon after arriving in the Salt Lake Valley with the Mormon Pioneers in 1847, Hector C. Haight traveled north to graze cattle, eventually building a log cabin and settling his family in the area. Other settlers followed over the ensuing years, naming the town North Cottonwood.
The name was later changed to Farmington. In December of 1892, Farmington was incorporated as a city with a population of 1,180. By 1980, that number had increased to 4,700, and in the next 12 years the population doubled.
The five canyons above Farmington have streams that flow through the City, eventually emptying into the Great Salt Lake. Farmington Canyon offers opportunities for hiking, jogging, bicycling, snowmobiling, picnicking, horseback riding, fishing and camping. There are also horse racing and rodeo facilities at the Davis County Fairgrounds in West Farmington.
The Primary Organization of the LDS Church was established in Farmington. A mural depicting that first primary can be seen in the Farmington Rock Chapel on Main Street.
Farmington is well known as the site of the State’s largest family amusement park. Lagoon, originally known as Lake Park Resort, was once on the shores of the Great Salt lake.
Later in the 1890's, it was moved to its present site and renamed Lagoon.
The City’s motto, "Historic Beginnings", is in reference to the pioneer spirit that Farmington was settled with and that same pioneer spirit exists today. Majestic trees line the City’s Main Streets which makes it have the old town feeling.
VIEW FARMINGTON'S HISTORIC SITES MAP
Click on a home to see the name, year built, address and description.
Powered by Google